|Project by Michael Wilson||posted 10-15-2012 01:56 PM||2256 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
I bake a lot of bread. One of the things that I find frustrating is that I’m so monumentally disorganized that I can rarely find the cooling rack. (Bread should be cooled to almost room temperature before cutting in to it. It’s still cooking.)
The last cutting board I made (the only other project I have on here) was made by 1×2” maple boards from the local big box. I try to buy a few every time I’m there. But a couple weeks ago I realized I’d bought 0.5”x2” instead. I was pissed for a couple seconds until I had me an idea.
If I alternated them and raised the narrow ones by half the width, then cut the “bottom” flush, I’d have a cooling rack for bread, and a cutting board. An optimal solution since I never need both at the same time.
I suppose I’m destined always to have a project dominated by “what I’d do different next time.” But I’m quite pleased with the way these turned out. The tearout problem is insane though. I mostly cut it out. But I need to fill those valleys in with blank scrap pieces next time I do something like this.
The reason the big one is the size it is (23×9”) is that I usually make baguettes, so a normal cutting board doesn’t, erm… cut it.
When I made them, I laminated the boards in batches of 3s. Then I cut the bottoms. The smaller of the two pieces is a product of having flush cut the wrong side on one batch. I just cut up another one that way, cut them in half lengthwise, then made the second smaller board. Works fine.