|Project by FlawlessCowboy||posted 420 days ago||2189 views||21 times favorited||5 comments|
EDIT: Pictures are too wide for here. If you want to see them without them being cut off, go to my photobucket drill press library.
Well, during football season, not much woodworking gets done. As such, my project over the last three weekends has been a drill press table. I meant to document it as I was building it, but didn’t find the time to post.
Here is the journey thus far:
It began with Woodpecker’s Drill Press Table Fence Kit. I thought about just buying their pre-made table, but it did not have sufficient features for me to justify the price. I did, however, like the fence.
I once cut a bunch of mdf with my Ridgid jobsite saw and it soon filled the basement with a cloud of dust. Not this time. My Excalibur had no trouble handling the dust from cutting the mdf panels.
Here you can see the size of the table on my drill press.
The fence rails are actually just Woodpecker’s Dual-Purpose track coloured red and laser-etched. The mounting system is quite slick – there is another t-track running along the bottom of the DP track. This is used to mount the track and allows for all sorts of adjustment.
Test fitting the track and a side piece:
Countersunk holes for the bolts to connect the bottom of the t-track:
Gluing the side panels:
I missed some pictures, but I then cut a center panel and dadoed it to accept some LV t-track. This will be used for hold-downs and what not. I had some difficulty counter-sinking the LV t-track but eventually got it down pat.
Gluing down the center panel follows. I did not place glue where I wanted to put my replaceable insert:
I used a 4” hole saw to cut out the spot for the replaceable insert. The same hole saw will be used to cut out the inserts. After removing the piece, I used a forstner bit to counter-bore a spot for a t-nut. You can see the hole where it will be going.
And with the t-nut installed:
In the previous picture, you can also see the counter bore in the replaceable insert. This will be held in place with a 1” hex bolt and washer:
Hardware removed to throw on some Danish Oil:
Danish Oil applied:
I also used t-track on the bottom to clamp the auxiliary table to the regular DP table. Due to the fact that I did not quite drill the replaceable insert where I should have, I had to angle the back brackets to fit. Lessons have been learned for whenever V2 is made.
And the finished product, along with some home-made flip stops:
So far, the table has worked pretty slick in the limited use it has seen. I really do like the rotatable insert. The mounting method used allows it to be securley mounted and still easily spun by hand. It give me more than enough space for the largest bits I have, and the bolt could easily be removed if a larger bit is needed.
Details to come on the flip stops once they are completely finished.