|Project by dshute||posted 10-12-2012 11:24 PM||1232 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
It’s been a while since I posted any projects and I am eager to catch up. Late last year I was diagnosed with cancer and had surgery, it seems thus far it was caught early and completely removed through the surgery, very fortunate and glad I have been getting yearly physicals, that’s what tipped the doctors off.
On to the projects, I had started to remove an old porch before the diagnosis and as soon as my restrictions were lifted I got back to work. The old porch was very narrow and had no room for a table and chairs. It was in need of some upgrading anyway so we just completely removed it and started from scratch.
Put the sonotubes into the ground, bracketed 6×6’s on them and began the build. New porch is all wood, pressure treated all the way to the roof but not including the roof structure. It took about 3 weeks for the project start to finish. The demo was the worst part, original structure was probably made with green lumber and nailed with huge tapered nails that would not pull out even with a 30” pry bar. That’s were the saws-all came in.
As soon as the moisture content was down to 12% we painted and primed with Benjamin Moore products. The table and chairs are made from white oak and finished with waterlox original sealer and marine finish. This was a real improvement to the curb appeal and we spent the whole summer out there at meal time. More porch furniture to come nest year.
-- dshute, Warsaw, New York