|Project by waynesvillewalton||posted 10-12-2012 10:12 PM||1470 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
This is my first “real” woodworking project. We already have a nice bed, however, being a sleigh bed, it doesn’t fit well in our bedroom so we needed a headboard that fit flat against the wall (and no footboard).
The most interesting part of the project is that the wood came from our pre-1900 home. When we finished our attic, the floor couldn’t be used, so we carefully pulled it up and saved it. The floor was ~1” thick oak of varying widths from about 5-8”. All of the wood in this project was gleaned from that old flooring (with the exception of the pine beadboard which I found in the carriage house – left over from the previous owners).
Although I used two very different woods (pine & oak), you don’t notice unless you look closely. I used a gel stain from General Finishes – the color is Java, if I recall.
The second & third pictures show the detail of the trim and the grain. There are a couple of old worm holes that I left visible in the top molding because I like the character (and I didn’t want to have to plane more wood).
I have an old Craftsman planar which I used to size down the wood. I don’t have a jointer, so I had to use my homemade router table to joint the edges & cut the roundover. Used a cheap hand plane to soften the edges and pocket hole screws & glue to join the rails to the stiles (since I don’t have a biscuit joiner yet).
The only real issue I have with the design is that because of the large baseboard molding in our house, the headboard doesn’t sit flush against the wall. I have tossed around the idea of cutting it down to a shorter sized & mounting it directly to the wall, but I don’t know if I want to do that for sure….
Hope you enjoy even though the pictures aren’t very good. Oh, & it did it over the weekend—pretty simple project.