|Project by KEP||posted 10-10-2012 10:40 PM||1687 views||12 times favorited||10 comments|
After seeing the posts for wood beads I just couldn’t resist giving it a try. Using similar methods as described in previous L J posts I mounted an 8 inch sanding disk in my router table, covered it with a tupperware type food container with top and bottom removed, with sandpaper glued to the inside. to hold it to the table I covered the top with a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and strapped it down. I drilled a few holes in the plywood for air flow as my router table dust collection port is under the table. I use a router speed control from Rockler to control the speed.
It takes about 20 minutes to knock the sharp edges off and get the desired shape using 50 or 80 grit sandpaper, whichever I have. Then I switched to 120 grit for about 15 – 20 minutes followed by 220 grit for about 15 – 20 minutes.
Applying the finish turned out to be the easiest part. I spread the beads out on a paper towel inside a shallow cookie sheet, poured some finish over them, then with another paper towel I “rolled” the beads around to distribute the finish. Next the beads were transferred to clean paper towel and using another clean towel I again “rolled” the beads around to remove excess finish. I applied 2 coats of a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and shellac.
Thanks to Cueball Rosendaul, Filinvested, and Ryan Haasen for your posts and inspiration.
I used cherry, maple, bloodwood, walnut, birch plywood, and butternut.