|Project by Rex B||posted 679 days ago||101731 views||1 time favorited||12 comments|
This project is pretty simple and utilitarian – just a few pegs to hold brooms and mops in the laundry room. But since I wanted to make it (almost) entirely from materials I had on had, I got to experiment with a few new techniques.
I decided to make it from walnut. The only scrap I had was a square piece about 7” to a side. So I ripped it down the center and used a half-lap joint (cut on the tablesaw and cleaned up with a small plane) to join them into a longer rectangle. This was my first time to try a half-lap joint.
For a finish, I first gave it a coat of danish oil. The only varnish I had on hand was some spar varnish, so I thinned it with mineral spirits and wiped it on by hand. This was the first time I have made my own wiping varnish (although I have used store-bought wiping varnish quite a bit). It took some trial and error to get a good mix ratio, but it worked well enough. After about 5 coats of varnish I wanted to shine it up a bit, so I tried rubbing it out with just a bit of paste wax, which turned out very nice – yet another first!
Overall, this project wasn’t very difficult and it may not be the most interesting thing to read about, but I was very pleased with my success at these new methods. Best of all, we got a high quality broom rack for only the cost of a walnut dowel.