|Project by iamcliff||posted 424 days ago||1722 views||2 times favorited||12 comments|
This sled was basically free for me to make. I used whatever wood I had on hand. The majority of it is from a trash particle board bookcase. I know, I know, particle board is the worst choice, but hey, it’s all I had and my choice at this point was either 1) have a crosscut sled now or 2) wait until I could afford the materials for one and who knows when that will be. I chose the former. So, here it is in all of it’s particle board, pine, and MDF splendor.
A couple of valuable lessons I learned:
1. Never make a sled from particle board again, especially painted particle board. Glue barely holds.
2. Never use MDF for runners again, especially in the tiny miter slots on this Craftsman TS. The left one cracked almost in half. It took too long to get it the right size, so I just used it anyway. I’m hoping the screws keep everything in place.
The rest was just measuring and screwing. The alignment to the blade was not that difficult.
I wrote a blog series on this build that you can read, if you feel so inclined. Part one is here.
Thanks for looking.
So it turns out that what I was calling “painted” particle board is actually particle board covered in melamine. I didn’t know what melamine was before this month.
-- Chris, http://www.youtube.com/CMRwoodworks , Proverbs 16:9