|Project by GrumpaJeff||posted 657 days ago||1044 views||3 times favorited||6 comments|
From the early picture you can see the three level deck work had a spa in the mid deck cut out area which we removed. The decking on the lower and mid decks ran in two different directions hence the added (over done) blocking to turn the mid deck wood to match the upper and lower platforms. The project began to remove and replace the balusters so that the grandchildren could not walk through the 8” oc openings. We replaced the lower and mid deck planking with 5/4×6” cedar then seal them with Penofin transparent stain. We removed all the picket type balusters after inserting the 4×4 posts leaving the guardrails in place. The guardrails were then refinished and sealed for the upcoming rainy season here in Seattle. All the posts were drilled using a template and over 2600’ of stainless cable was installed at 3.5” spacing. All the stairs were replaced with 4×12” stock. The area across the mid deck where the spa once was had to have the guardrail duplicated as well as stairs railings added.
Next season we will replace the upper decking surface with the same material and the project will be done. Luckily all the under framework was treated material and was in perfect shape. Time to completion was 4 ½ months. Not a bad way to spend the summer.
Now the little ones get up a mean game of broom hockey at their leisure.
As an aside, those double doors in the first picture lead into my 800 sq ft woodshop. Lucky I am doesn’t begin to cover it. Cheers from the Pacific Northwest.