|Project by bfd||posted 434 days ago||1083 views||3 times favorited||9 comments|
So this is a project I did back in 2010….actually it is a project that I did twice back in 2010 but more about that in a moment. This commission came about while talking to a colleague in New York about her plans for her new kitchen she was planning. She was having a hard time finding a contractor who could do a modern kitchen. She wanted walnut cabinets at a reasonable price. I suggested that she go to IKEA and buy all the cabinet frames, hardware etc just don’t buy the drawer and door fronts then have a custom shop build her the fronts out of walnut. This would save her money and give her the look that she was after at a fraction of the price of all custom cabinets but still give her touches she would find in a high end kitchen (Blum motion doors and drawers), matched cabinet fronts etc. She ended up commissioning me to build her the fronts. TWO ISSUES were I lived 3,000 miles due west of her. I thought if I can ship furniture across country I can ship a whole kitchen worth of fronts and panels across country too. After all it is just a matter of flat packing them. The other issue was that I needed a way to accurately take measurements for all the cabinets. That was easily solved by purchasing a few of the same size cabinets at my local IKEA to take very accurate measurements from and get all the drill patterns and tolerances correct. I then would use the cabinets in my shop for storage.
It was a straight forward project just making sure that all the grain ran continuous throughout the entire kitchen. When I was done I built a custom crate and carefully packed up the entire project into one 42”d x 60” x 12” case (shown in the last picture) and weighted about 175 lbs. I headed down to my local UP Store and shipped it off. Unfortunately for my client the package never arrived….it was “lost” somewhere in the UPS system. Yes that is correct a 42”d x 60” x 12” crate weighing 175 lbs was lost never to be seen again. Luckily like everything I send I insure for the full amount and had documentation/photos and a signed contract showing and stating the value of the contents so I received the full insured value of fronts. My client was very understanding and waited the additional 3 weeks it took me to remake and send replacement fronts (this time by Fed Ex). The upside to this was the second set of fronts turned out even better than the first and in the end I had one very happy client.
Material: Grade A Walnut Ply with Veneer Edgebanding
Finish: Tung Oil & Wiping Poly
-- Brian, Folsom, CA http://www.brianfullerdesigns.com