|Project by TrBlu||posted 10-01-2012 12:10 PM||1875 views||4 times favorited||12 comments|
While I was picking up a few tools at an estate sale, this weekend, I bought a bundle of drill rods. (The estate belonged to a retired machinest.) Since I had a lazy Saturday afternoon planned, I decided to try my hand at making a scratch all from scratch.
Sharpened the drill rod, using my drill and belt sander. The heated with a MAP torch to harden the steel. Polished back to bright finish, using 800 – 1500 sand paper.
The handle is turned from a scrap piece of Walnut from my wood pile. Brass ferrule is a 3/8” plumbing flare nut. I turned a step tennon on the handle then used the flare nut to cut thread in the tennon. A little CA glue on the freshly cut thread to secure the nut, then turned the corners off the flare nut to shape the ferrule.
I like to date my projects by inlaying a penny for the current year. On most pieces the penny is hidden in an out of the way place. With tools, I build, it is more pronounced. That way every tool I make is at least worth $0.01.
Thanks for looking.
-- The more I work with wood the more I recognize only God can make something as beautiful as a tree. I hope my humble attempts at this craft do justice by His masterpiece. -- Tim