|Project by EarlS||posted 691 days ago||1170 views||3 times favorited||1 comment|
I’ve been working on a series of craftsman taboret tables. The main problem I ran into was the angled tapered aprons. They are cut at a 5 degree taper with a 45 degree angle which will result in one face of the legs to face out while the base tapers from the bottom to the top.
Because the legs are on a 45 degree angle, clamping them was a real challenge. Add to the the taper and I needed something that would allow me to clamp the aprons and legs. The solution was to rip a piece of 3/4 mdf with the table saw at a 45 degrees then flip it over and use my taper sled to make the 5 degree taper on the other edge. The two pieces were then stacked up so the 45 degree cuts were match together to make a 90 degree notch (see picture 3). I made a two sets.
The legs fit perfectly and the taper allowed me to clamp the legs squarely. A block and clamp provided downward pressure on the apron to keep the apron tight against the legs. Two leg sections were glued up this way, then the tapered blocks were flipped over and used to glue up the other two sides (see pictures 4 & 5).
I will be posting the finished taboret tables as I finish them.
-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"