|Project by Jim Sellers||posted 09-30-2012 10:55 PM||2757 views||12 times favorited||36 comments|
This actually evolved into something better than I had envisioned in my first concept. Hadn’t even thought about an expandable tray until well into the project. It was challenging since I had no drawings or plans. Went through more than one pair of templates full of holes and pieces of bent wires. Lots of trial and error. You can see the hole on the left side where I had planned on putting another swing arm, but the tray was too long. After putting it together and going through the motions, I realized it wasn’t even needed. (one of those rare moments when you think you screwed up but really got it right) Was very pleased with how well it functions.
Made the 2 pins and swing arm out of brass rod. Used nylon bushings to keep the tray spaced and from touching the sides.
One thing I wish I’d done different is taking more consideration in the symmetry so that the knob is not slightly off center. (But the built-in knob was an afterthought too)
Almost goofed up thinking I was going to stain it. Which I did on the inside top lid, and tried the wipe on poly. Didn’t like either but fortunately didn’t do any noticeable damage. Outside is natural with 3 coats of brush on gloss. (wish I had went and bought a can of satin. May still try too buff out some of the shine)
It measures 14” x 7” dia.
-- J.C.Sellers, Norcross, Ga. Just cut it right the first time. The best carpenters make the fewest chips.