|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 09-28-2012 01:04 PM||5228 views||34 times favorited||13 comments|
You can never have too many clamps, so I made 2 more for fun. These are based on an old style which i was first introduced to in this video.
At first while making these I was thinking they were easier to build than my clamps, but then I realized that it was about the same amount of cutting fitting and gluing. I purposely tried to make them look old fashioned and abused, thus the grip handle and the rusted hardware. I wanted them to look like they were found in a barn somewhere, yet remain functional.
These clamps have a max capacity of 30 inches and a workable minimum of 5 inches. With the screw being so long the actual minimum is 2 inches, but that involves a LOT of screwing on the grip.
The 3/8 inch threaded rod was left over from a failure of early attempts at making my hand screw clamps. It’s a little long, but since I didn’t pin the handles, if the epoxy should ever let loose, I’ll shorten the threaded rod.
After distressing the pieces and aging the wood using tea, vinegar, rusty nails, and bleach (not all mixed together!) I wiped down the parts of the finished clamp with boiled linseed oil to protect the wood, keep glue from sticking and make it look old and then restored.
-- - Ni faru ion el ligno!