|Project by pendledad||posted 09-24-2012 01:59 PM||7778 views||15 times favorited||16 comments|
My first real woodworking project. I needed a pair of sawhorses that I can use around the shop, but I wanted to build something that would give me some practice in joinery and hand tool skills. I saw NikBrown’s post here ... and decided to give it a shot.
I made tons of mistakes on the first horse, and a lot less on the second. But I did something which Jay van Arsdale suggested in the article ... build one sawhorse first in case of mistakes. The first horse took me about 6 nights in the shop working after the kids and wife went to sleep. The second horse took only about 2 nights. I am amazed at how quickly you can pick up on things.
I tried to do everything by hand. I used the bit brace to hog out as much of the mortises as I could. My ryoba made all the cuts. Where I cheated was on the drawbore tenon holes in the feet/legs. I used my drill press so I can get the accuracy they required.
I finished with some Tung oil … I’m not familiar with finishes at all, but this stuff smells horrific. They look pretty nice and are quite strong.
Thanks for looking.