|Project by Neil Davis||posted 09-24-2012 01:00 AM||1675 views||5 times favorited||7 comments|
Finally finished the main part of my latest project, a pergola. Made from rough sawn cedar and sealed with Stillen tint-able oil based sealer. I drew up the project in Autocad and then built to the plan. I cut all the lumber in my garage and then sealed it before installing it on the project. I used black oxide square head lag bolts to the house into the floor header plate. I used black oxide square head bolts and nuts at the front cross section to vertical posts as well as the connection at the center.
I still have some detail work to do, like put a additional 1x at each side of the post up to 42” and then a little cap piece to give the post a bit more character as well as more girth. Also some fake square headed wood pins stained black at the angle braces for a bit of character. The angle braces are mortised into the vertical posts and pinned both sides at the top brace.
Continuation of the project includes panels that will go between the horizontal boards that will provide cover from the rain. I made long strips of cedar that are at a 3.5% slope and then added decorative and functional spacers to provide support for the corrugated plastic that will go between each board. There are 180 of the cross pieces that were cut to length, then notched at each end, drilled at each end and then an arch cut with the bandsaw then sanded. Whew!