|Project by TwoWheelMikee||posted 09-21-2012 08:39 AM||1414 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
This being my first post on the site… Hello and thank you for taking an interest.
As is tradition in the military, when a member of your unit moves on, it is customary to give them something from the unit… a challenge coin, a litho, a shadow box or something like that. But, every now and again you happen to some old aircraft parts laying around that you can spruce up and attached to a stick of wood. These types of gifts tend to be held in highest regard, in my opinion.
This project was for my previous commander, a good man to work for. I was approached by one of my many bosses… “Hey Sergeant [Mike], you know how to make stuff out wood, right? ‘Cause I have an idea.” Proceeded to take me into his office and show me a collection of old bent propeller blades. He explained to me that he had a background in auto body repair and was going to fix up one of these prop blades. He just needed a way to mount it to something… that’s where I came in. So a deal was struck and I set off taking some measurements. As I left with my notes… “Oh and I need this by Monday.” It was Thursday. Another military tradition. Three days later I had a couple of prototypes in pieces on the garage floor, scarred fingers and this pretty finished product… if I may tute my own horn.
Basic box/finger joint construction, except the bottom of the box is about half way up. The prop blade itself was about 4 ½ feet tall and about 90 lbs. The root, the piece nested inside the box, is some silly metric measurement close to 4 5/16 around and about 5 inches tall. I built the sides and bottom first then waiting until I could use the prop blade to nail to opening in the top. I covered this up with the trim. It’s all 4/4 white oak. I made the fingers for the joint ½ x ½, I didn’t like the look of the full ¾ in fingers. It looked too heavy. I added some ballast in the bottom (blade was a little top heavy) and a means to secure the prop blade and I was done. The finish is a lighter red stain I had on the shelf, a couple of coats of oil and some wipe-on poly. Knocked it down with steel wool then waxed it… I like the hand feel of wax more than poly, plus it gets rid of the plastic look.
Apologize, for the long story. This one was near and dear to the heart… The old CO was worth the effort. Any questions or comments are welcome.
-- Mike, Las Vegas NV, Aut inveniam viam aut faciam