|Project by NiteWalker||posted 241 days ago||1047 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
Since I’ve been using my miter gauge a lot more lately, I decided to get something nicer to use and buff it up a bit.
The miter gauge I grabbed is the Incra V27. I’m disappointed with it but Incra’s fixing the issue. There were two problems with it. First, the fence is nowhere near square to the table. It’s at least 1/16” out of square. The second issue is that when squaring the miter gauge to the blade, the far right screw hole stripped out. I was not applying excessive pressure. I emailed incra explaining my issues and requesting that a replacement fence part be sent (I didn’t need the whole gauge; just the front fence part that the protractor part screws to) and a little while ago I got an email back. They’re sending a new fence part, so that’s taken care of, and hopefully the replacmeent face is at least a bit more closer to square to the table.
Other than that I like the miter gauge a lot. The handle is comfortable, the glide lock bar is excellent and I like the slots in the fence. They allow for easy addition of an auxiliary fence.
Now about the auxiliary fence; I’ve used plywood and MDF in the past and they always seem to bow on me, so I instead opted for rockler’s 2 1/4” multi track. It’s easily mounted to the miter gauge with t bolts and small knobs. It’s dead flat and pretty heavy for aluminum too. To this I attached a longer strip of apple ply I got from Lowe’s. It’s really nice. There’s no voids and it was smooth and flat. I attached it with 1/4-20 hex bolts and nuts countersunk on the front of the fence. I’ve got just over 36” of crosscutting capacity to the left of the blade. I originally planned on cutting the multi track down a bit but decided to leave it long since the extra capacity could come in handy.
Lastly I made a simple sliding stop for batch cutting parts. It works great and was very easy to put together.
Overall, I’m happy with it aside from the miter gauge issues.
UPDATE 9/32/12: I got the new incra fence face (very fast shipping too!), installed it and it was dead square to the table out of the box. Also, I squared the fence up to the miter slot and blade and there was no stripping this time from the screw holes. I think the other piece was defective. But as of now everything is perfect with it. So far it’s stayed square too.
-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.