|Project by Rex B||posted 09-17-2012 09:06 PM||2496 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
When I bought my house in May of this year, the fence was in pretty good shape except for one of the gates. It was basically just a panel of wood propped up in the opening; the hinges were all useless and the latch couldn’t even close.
Upon closer inspection, I noticed a few major flaws in the old gate. First off, the hinges were attached to the main fence with 1-1/2” lag screws. These screws didn’t penetrate much past the fence picket they were attached to, and it probably didn’t take much for them to pull out. Secondly, the “frame” on the gate wasn’t really a frame at all – it was simply some 2×4’s screwed on to hold the pickets together. The “frame” wasn’t connected in any way at the corners and although it had angle braces, they were angling the wrong way and were so loosely attached that they didn’t provide any rigidity.
So the main goal for the construction of my new gate was to build a sturdy frame that is rigid on its own and then attach the pickets simply for looks. It is all pressure-treated pine. I used my pocket-hole jig and some 2-1/2” screws to join the frame at the corners, and cut the angle braces to be a very tight fit (and of course installed them angling the correct way).
I was able to reuse all of the hinges and the latch (those things are expensive at Home Depot). I painted the hinges with gloss black outdoor spray paint to make them look new. I did buy all new lag screws – 2” to attach the hinges to the gate and 4” to attach them to the fence. This allowed the 4” screws to penetrate into the post a bit and hopefully stand the test of time.
I am very pleased with the way this gate works so far, and only time will tell if my construction methods will hold up. It will definitely last longer than the old gate though! (You may also notice that that corner of my yard floods pretty bad when we get a lot of rain.)