|Project by flwoodhacker||posted 09-16-2012 11:12 PM||1354 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
A friend of mine gave me several blocks of oak he found on the side of the road. I mounted a piece on my lathe not knowing what I was going to do with it. It started taking shape as rotted parts flew off, evidence of insect burrowing showing and the unusual grain pattern with burls emerging. The rotted wood that came off was part of the rim. Now that void is what I consider an “artistic accent”.
I did not have a safe way to mount the bowl to finish the bottom so I turn a piece of padauk for the base and attached it to the oak burl. I like how the padauk picks up the red hue of the oak.
I took several pictures with my iPhone. Seems to be hit or miss with the quality. Thank you for looking.