|Project by UncleStumpy||posted 09-16-2012 08:53 AM||1943 views||4 times favorited||10 comments|
Looking around the flea market as usual, I came across this beat-to-hell piece of marquetry piled up with a bunch of other junk. I decided that I would try and rescue it and got the guy down to $8.00 – I’m sure he had no idea what it was.
On the bandsaw I removed all of the broken and distressed parts and came up with about 12 inches of material I could work with. Carefully sanded, bits and pieces replaced and used a syringe to glue down all the pieces that were coming loose. Took a few days. Made the box not too fancy so as not to take away from the beautiful marquetry and with Frank Lloyd type legs (my wifes suggestion). Ended up about 13 X 14 X 4.5”.
I was REALLY happy to do this piece of art proud and keep it out of the dumpster. Thanks for looking guys!
-- "They don't want it perfect - they want it SPECIAL"