|Project by djg||posted 09-11-2012 12:22 AM||8552 views||8 times favorited||4 comments|
About 2-3 years ago I purchased this old relic. It’s a beaver 28115. It was rusty and falling apart. I fixed it up but the table top was small and the saw didn’t have the functionality I was looking for. I didn’t want to sell it so I figured that I would make a few additions to the saw. I have added a custom table top made with baltic birch. The top has a replaceable zero clearance insert. A new fence which can be adjusted for blade drift rides on a piece of angle iron. The fence slide is a piece of UHMW plastic. The fence design was taken from an issue of Fine Woodworking. The addition of a miter slot and a circle cutting jig (long narrow insert) makes the table much more functional. I have also added dust collection. Since collecting at the source with a large volume of air is so important for capturing fine dust, I have added 2×4” ports. One is below the table and through the front of the saw. The bottom cover was replaced with a custom cover that opens close to the blade at the bottom of the table. This draws air from the blade downwards into the body of the saw towards the bottom left hand corner of the front cover. This captures everything below the table. Above the table is another 4” port which can be slid up and down to position it where dust is being generated. This setup should work well for collecting dust above the table. I have tested it and it seems to capture everything. Thanks to everybody on the internet for providing me with enough information to do this overhaul!