|Project by Pat Cavanaugh||posted 09-10-2012 03:50 PM||1340 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
As many of you will recognize, this is from a project that came from Wood magazine’s pattern. This was made for the daughter of a friend of mine for her 1 year birthday. The party was 2 days ago so now I can finally post the pictures. The horse itself is made from soft maple and the saddle is walnut. My original plan was to also make the mane and tale from walnut. However, when I tried to route (using a template) the mane curves along the horse’s head, I was getting a lot of tearout, That was regardless of which direction I was routing. So I made a design modification.
So not with the entire thing in maple, I routed a v-groove to separate the mane from the rest of the head. Then I stained the mane and tail with Minwax mahogany gel stain. I also personalized the saddle with her initial (her name is Autumn) and butterflies (she loves them) using pink and purple (her colors) gltter acrylic paint. Everything received several coats of Formby’s Tung Oil Finish. I chose to use button plugs (as opposed to flush plugs) to hide the screws. And the plan also called for construction adhesive to attach the saddle but I chose to use pocket srews because as anyone whose built one of these knows, it is designed to be taken apart should it be necessary to repair the handles or foot rests.
I was rewarded at the party when she pushed aside all the other gifts and climbed aboard. And mom texted me yesterday saying “Autumn loves the horse!! She’s been playing with it all day.” All I can say is “Sweet!” Thanks for looking.
-- Pat - Biloxi, MS