|Project by USCJeff||posted 545 days ago||1907 views||10 times favorited||9 comments|
I don’t own an accurate dial indicator. Against pretty sound wisdom and experience, I bought one from Harbor Freight breaking the #1 rule shopping there (If it measures or has a battery, thou shalt not buy). Funny thing is, the calipers I used came from HF, measure, and have batteries as well. I replaced them a while ago and haven’t touched it until recently when conceiving this project. The important thing in this set up is being able to take a measure and transfer that to another spot to test alignment. They work perfect for that as they lock well.
Anyhow, the pictures give most of it away. I used a piece of MDF and made it to fit the miter slot very snug. I drilled toe hole for the threaded insert and threaded that into place. Using a matching machine screw and the appropriate allen wrench it allows one ot remove the calipers. I’m not sure all calipers have to same measurements, but I drilled overlapping small holes as true to the shape of the calipers as I could. A little filing squares it off.
The application is straight forward. Take measurements at the front and back of the blade/fence and make adjustments as needed.
Note: If you’re using calipers (that you like) in this manner, make sure to pad the bottom of the machine screw or it will leave an indentation on the calipers.
-- Jeff, South Carolina