|Project by Von||posted 09-05-2012 11:13 PM||3036 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
My oldest starts homeschool any day now, just waiting for his textbooks to arrive. My lovely Mrs. pointed out that he would need a real desk for school and such. Well, we have a small house and space is kinda tight. I surmised that a large corner desk would better suit us versus adding a 3rd small desk to our living room. After a bit of thought I pulled a real simple “table-like” design outta my head, from scratch. The base is made from Norway Pine 4S 2×4, stained with rosewood to hide the “ugly” caveman-ish construction work. 3 of the legs are from a 5” diameter birch log that I felled and skinned some time ago. (same log that I made the most recent wood carving from) 2 of the brich legs are a “clamp on -flaoting” kinda thing. Hard to explain, but they are carved in such a way as to pinch and clip onto the frame like a closepin. Depending on where the heaviest load on the tops is set, the legs can me moved to support the weight.
The table-desk tops, are made from a mix of Norway, Red, White, and Jack pines. All of them locally cut and milled from trees in the area around me. (northern MN) I ran them thorugh my jointer to flatten them a bit. The boards were all rough-cut 7/4×14’ I ripped each board at their middle, and ran em through my jointer on all sides to an average of 5/4. I wish I had a thickness planer. ooooo I wish I had a thickness planer! Each wing is assembled with 3 batens, no glue -just a whole lot of pre-drilled holes and screws to allow for seasonal movement. The center miter is a true 45 deg. cut. (done with a skill saw & a home-made jig—they came out almost perfect) I opted not to join each wing, they just float on the base frame.
My random orbital hand sander literally grenaded in my hands as I went to use it on the tops. So I was forced to use a hand plane and a block sander knock out most of the high edges on each top. I gave each side a couple hours of work and called it “good enough for now.” Then I slathered on a coat of linseed oil finnish on each top and let it cure.
Despite a not perfectly-flat finnish on each top, you can drag an optical mouse on it just fine, without using a mouse pad. So I guess I got it pretty fair with just the hand plane. I like how it came out but I can’t say this is my finest work, and I am only posting it because my lovely wife is so enamoured with it. She keeps buggin me to post this. From design to install: about 4 days.