LumberJocks

TV Stand

  • Advertise with us
Project by Tim_456 posted 724 days ago 902 views 3 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Well, this was a year long project. I build the cabinet in a few months and then agonized over the staining and finishing. I started with birch plywood, poplar, and pine accents with the thought that I would paint the cabinet. Once it was complete the wife wanted it stained to match some other pieces. After 6 months of letting it sit I FINALLY tried coloring it and got it right the first time. Until I made the top. I glued up a few peices of poplar, colored it the same way but it turned out wrong. I had to sand it down and try again. got that right the second time.

Anyway, now its time for matching bookcases!

For the finish I used:
Charle’s Neil sealer per the instructions
Old Masters Red Mahogany wiiping stain
de-waxed shellac + red dye (not sure of ratio)
another coat of wiping stain to glaze/color
1 coat of de-waxed shellac
3 coats of general finishes Enduro Matte finish (next time I’ll spray it)





1 comment so far

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

471 posts in 844 days


#1 posted 724 days ago

That’s really nice work! Thanks for some ideas for the one I have to build!

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase