|Project by jack1||posted 09-02-2012 10:53 PM||1017 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
We have an old wooden church that was moved to the current church grounds that dates from the 1860’s. We now use it for a wedding chapel and morning mass. Inside is this very old walnut case foot-pump organ that is still used for services. I was asked to repair the sound grill if possible.
The problem was that it was not only old, dry, slightly warped walnut but also very thin. As you can see, it was cut with I assume was a hand fret saw when it was made. The pieces had been lying around for a few years so I wasn’t sure they would come together.
Fortunately 99% of the wood was there and fit for the most part like a puzzle. I did it in two sittings on the same day and had it back on the organ that night.
Both sides of the grill had been broken out so that there was about a dozen pieces altogether. I used Tite Bond III and a bunch of little clamps (can’t have to many or different kinds of clamps…) to line up the bits as well as hold them together for the recommended 30 minutes. Great stuff with a nice long open time to shift the bits till they were flush. Not that anyone is supposed to have liquid near this instrument but the glue is water proof too.
All the joints came together and only if you do a really close inspection can you see a few of the cracks.
-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!