|Project by Freakazoid||posted 264 days ago||2516 views||8 times favorited||6 comments|
I was researching measurements for my table saw fence in preparation for adding a router wing and noticed that the high fence extension may not have been mounted properly. Nearly simultaneously, I got sick of all the clutter that was on the outside of my table saw fence. Befiore common sense kicked in, I had taken everything apart, and then it came to me – make a tall fence. My main goal was to make my Kreg push stick easy to grab, no matter what clutter was on the table.
I used the measurements from the instructions, and that did not turn out well – the high fence measurements were based on using the router fence, not the table saw fence. After a few adjustments, here is what I came up with:
I had purchased enough hardware to lose a bolt or two, but I was lucky enough to retain everything. So with four bolts left, I thought it would be cool to give the Grippers some on board storage.
Next, I tapered the ends of the fence. I did this on the front end to satisfy part of my original goal (make the Kreg push stick handy) and decided to make the opposite end match. Then I stuck the adhesive back steel to the backside of the fence to support the Kreg push stick.
Since I was at it, and I had previously built some sort of tenoning jig, and some surprisingly coincidental dimensions fell into my favor, I decided to add a carriage to the top of the tenoning jig, which turned out to become much improved. I put a small taper on the inside of the carriage to make it easier to drop the jig onto the fence.
So here she is, all loaded up. Now all the clutter moves with the fence, instead of getting in the way. Believe it or not, the fence still rides smoothly along the rails, and it is not difficult to adjust. And the Kreg push stick is always there for me!
Once again, thanks to all for the inspiration!
-- Making cutting errors, one beer at a time.