|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 09-02-2012 08:46 PM||1297 views||1 time favorited||17 comments|
My daughter has this huge 3 story house that needs of lots of work. I found one of the balusters on the front stairs broken out from rotting clear through and told her I would make a new one. When I went to take some serious dimensions, there were 5 more that really should be replaced because they were close to falling apart.
I bought some white maple and turned the 6 balusters and then noticed that the rails I would be putting them into were also in need of replacement and the other 6 balusters from that side all had bad bottoms .
In short I made 6 new balusters, repaired 6 of them with new bottoms and made 4 top and 4 bottom rails. The rails were a real trip! They had compound angles but I did not take a picture of the set up I used on my cheap B&D miter saw to hit those angles.
The only pics I have are of the completed railing, the primed parts, the setup for spotting the dowel when you are putting it in at an angle and the fixture I made for drilling all the dowel holes in the bottoms of the balusters.
I did a section at a time . I made a board with a rail on it and it had 2 short 2×4’s clamped on each end .I would test cut the compound angle on one of the 2×4’s until it fit and aligned to the spot on the next post. Then I cut that exact angle on the lower rail. Then I would start test cutting the other compound angle on the other 2×4 until I got it to fit just right. I measured that total length and transferred it to the bottom rail and cut the exact angle on it and they fit real nice. I used that all the way around on top and bottom.
I had a marking gauge for the spaces and a drill fixture to put the 3/4” holes in the bottom rails to accept the dowels in the bottom of the balusters. The tops were fastened with 2 Kreg pocket screws each.
The worst part for me was the painting. I hate to paint!! They had 4 colors on each one of them. I put a screw in each end and the mounted them on V blocks made from scrap to be able to turn them and paint the rings in 2 different colors. Only for my daughter would I do this!!
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!