|Project by vrice||posted 09-02-2012 05:41 PM||10781 views||20 times favorited||10 comments|
I’ve been intending to perform a major upgrade to my workbench for several years now. I finally got around to it. When I’m working on most projects I like to setup my table saw for rip cuts with my Freud Glue Line Rip blade installed. I then do all my cross cuts with my miter saw. This process works well for me. Well, my miter saw throws saw dust ALL OVER THE PLACE. In addition I didn’t have a good way to make multiple cuts at exactly the same length (i.e. no fence with stop). So I’ve finally added a fence and dust collection system.
My miter saw is definitely low tech and feature challenged. However, it does an excellent job at making spot on 90deg cuts (or other angles obviously) which is 99% of what I need. So rather than investing in a higher priced saw I’m just improving the performance of this one.
First the dust collection. The event that pushed me into getting this done was the gift of a small shop vac. I thought I could dedicate this to dust collection on this saw. I purchased a cyclone from ONEIDA. Rigged up the setup shown in a pic above. I then ran some 2” ID PVC from my saw mount back over to where the vac sits. Lastly I designed a hood to go behind the saw. The place this saw sits is a mount that’s part of my workbench. This saw is removable as other pieces of equipment can reside in the mount (Hollow Chisel Mortiser, Scroll Saw, Bench grinder). You can better see this setup in my workshop pics. (I love this functionality.) Anyway the hood I came up with is shown in the pics. This is a cleaner look with a Shetchup image:
The last low tech addition to this dust collection is the plastic shroud. Since this is all removable I wanted to make this simple. Its just a plastic sheet help onto the hood via spring clips. Easily removable. This setup catches MOST of the dust coming off the saw. A HUGE improvement.
The fence was designed with the idea I don’t want it there all the time. When I need the bench top I want to be able to remove it. Also its relationship to the saw needs to be adjustable. Hence the setup I’m showing here. I routed two slots into my benchtop into which I can put a T-blot. I created a fence from laminated 0.75” birch plywood. Into this fence I routed T-slots on both faces. Lastly I got a piece of 2” aluminum angle bar stock and mounted that to the fence. As shown above I can place a straight edge against the miter saw fence and then set the position of my new fence. I created a hardwood stop block with a tenon that rides in the T-slot. This prevents this thing from rotating under pressure from stock being positioned for a cut.
Now my miter saw station is considerably easier to work with and more functional. Still makes spot on 90deg cuts.
-- Vic Rice