|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 08-31-2012 01:35 PM||2010 views||0 times favorited||22 comments|
My son in law is a volunteer fireman and he just got a new truck and asked me if I could build a console for his light and siren controls. A wood project?? Of course!!
He brought me this cardboard template cut to fit the hump in the floor and I went from there with some 1/2” Baltic birch.
He had the truck with him so I used my copy cat to get the radius of the hump and changed the shape of the front piece with a radius on each side to make the console hug the floor.
The case is put together with lock miter joints on all the corners. Routing the angled edges on the sides was tricky because because the pusher I use for a square parts would no longer work. I had to push the piece half way through the cut and then add a 1/16” shim on the outfeed side of the fence to support it so it would not push into the cutter once it left the right half of the fence. It is glued with Titebond 3.
He wanted the front on pins to remove it rather than screws because the whole thing is going to be upholstered. So I put four brass bushings in the case and transferred their locations to the front which has 4 mating brass pins.
After cutting locations for all the components, I added a shelf for each one and then put sides on for reinforcement which have holes for mounting .
I’ll post a shot of it in the truck after it gets upholstered.
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!