|Project by jfouse||posted 08-30-2012 02:32 PM||4699 views||8 times favorited||7 comments|
About three years ago, after using my table saw top as my workspace for awhile, I decided it was time to actually build a workbench. My general design focus was something general purpose, solid, able to take a beating, yet movable. I had my own ideas on general construction (okay, okay, I do tend to over-engineer things) and got the inspiration for the wheel setup from…somewhere online long forgotten. Also, general height spec’d to serve as TS outfeed table when needed.
The first pic is the essentially complete table, though I did tack on a sacrificial layer of masonite on top and some OSB for the bottom shelf. I didn’t get a pic after that because my Horizontal Surface Syndrome kicked in and I haven’t seen the clean top since.
The second pic shows a closeup of the wheels disengaged.
The third, obviously, shows them engaged. I intended to work out some string or lever mechanism to pull the stops down while I’m lifting up the table, but I have a bad tendency to get utility projects such as this to the “good enough for now” point and move on to something else.
The fourth shows the final glue-up of the top, before the legs got involved.
-- Anyone who wants an excuse can find one. Don't bother telling me yours; I have enough of my own to fight off.