|Project by Paul||posted 08-30-2012 01:16 PM||1115 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
Basement wall unit I put together for the kids.
The original photo ( which I can’t find any more) my wife found on line and asked me to use as a guide. The original design had glass doors on top but she wanted solid. We’re using if for the kids so the mess is concealed.
I used biscuit joinery for the cases and 1/4 ply for the backs. Cases are 3/4 birch. Nail-in plastic feet tacks on the bottom units to keep it off the floor. I 1/4 rounded the inner edges of the cases and could have rounded the outer edges of each unit to continue the look from case to case. I wasn’t thinking that far ahead. I really have to buy a door router bit set. I’m not happy with the way the doors came out. Up close the imperfections on them are easy to spot. I think I learned more making this piece then I feel I accomplished so I finish as the educated one. It’s for the kids and they’ll have their way with so I’m not hung up on any of the issues.
Pulls still have to be installed and door stops as well.
I sprayed it with two coasts of Bulls eye primer, three coats of latex enamel, and two coats of clear coat.