|Project by Ben Simms||posted 08-30-2012 12:59 PM||6427 views||64 times favorited||38 comments|
I make a lot of panels out of smaller boards from pallets so I thought about it and came up with this design which I sketched up (with pencil and paper), and set out to find a similar version on the web that I could compare to. I am sure I’m not the first person to come up with this but I couldn’t find anything quite like it so I figured I would just built it and see how it worked. Turns out it works great, and it frees up my bar clamps for assemblies.
1. Added a stiffening rib to the back of the arms to prevent flex.
2. Apply wax/paraffin to the arms to prevent glue squeeze out from adhering to the arms. (Do not use spray silicone as originality posted).
3. Pegs are glued into the arms (not the strut/clamp pads), this keeps them stiff which reduces flex from the clamping pressure. If you have something better then pine you might be able to get away with multiple holes in the arms for different size panels.
4. The knot is a taught line hitch.
I am going to make the next one with wider struts/clamp pads, to better disburse pressure.
If you have any thought or improvements I would love to see your comments, if not for me then for the next person that tries this.
Thanks for looking.
-- I played with Legos as a kid and I never had the part I thought I needed, so I learned to improvise. Now I'm an engineer with a woodworking hobby.