|Project by MichaelT77||posted 08-29-2012 01:54 AM||2762 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
The mallet on the left belonged to my great-grandfather. He worked for a limestone company in southern Indiana in the early 1900’s. My dad gave it to me many years ago. My neighbor across the street owns a tree cutting service. He gave me a few pieces of osage orange. Having recently acquired a lathe (very used), I decided to make a mallet. I probably should have cut off a little more, and I think the cracks resulted from me lettng it dry too quickly. I turned the head and the handle, and then bored a hole in the head. I hammered a wedge into the handle to tighten it up. No glue. It’s really just for looks, and would probably break if I hit it on anything hard. It doesn’t have as much character as the original, but it was good for practice.
-- Michael T, Pittsburgh, PA