|Project by Woodshopfreak||posted 04-20-2008 08:04 AM||5318 views||3 times favorited||14 comments|
Well, after about a week of thinking, and about three tries at making a zero clearance throat plate, I finally got one to work. See one of the problems with all bench top, and contractor table saws are that the throat plate is always just a little piece of sheet metal that always is impossible to make a zero clearance throat plate for because of a few reasons:
1. The wood of the plate would have to be really thin, which is always a pain in the buttocks
2. The screws that attach the metal throat plate are a countersunk screw and the thin wood has nothing for the screw to grab onto.
3. It’s hard to get it stabilized when it is so little.
So to fix all of these problems I realized that my table saw had these little wholes for a small rubber spacer that would keep the metal throat plate from vibrating and the screw that holds the plate down goes in between the spacer. After realizing this I thought that I could put dowels into the holes which would make the throat plate stay in place and it would give me the extra material for a countersunk hole. It took me about two hours on and off, because I had to make all the parts then when I put it together and glued it I realized that the dowels were in the wrong place and had to redo them about 3 times. They also would crack off, so I made the dowels a bit smaller so that they would just slip in and wouldn’t be so had to get out. Overall I think this was a great addition to my table saw and anyone with a contractor style saw should make one to get better cutting results. Thanks, Tyler.
-- Tyler, Illinois