|Project by Chris Moellering||posted 08-23-2012 09:39 PM||1192 views||3 times favorited||2 comments|
My wife found a headboard she really liked at Ikea when we were there this Spring. However, it did not come in king size, so it wouldn’t work for us. I took a picture and put it on my “to do” list.
Now that we’ve moved, (and I have a table saw!) I went to my local big box and procured 2 sheets of 3/4” plywood and got to work.
I found that on the Ikea website, you can download instruction manuals for assembly, which was useful for seeing how they designed theirs, and I followed their general layout.
The main part of the headboard is the 2 towers. Then it is just a matter of putting 2 pieces on the front. I managed to hide all the screws that would be visible once the headboard was in place.
For those who are interested, I cut the angle for the slope at 65 degrees, after experimenting with a scrap piece of wood leaned against the wall for a bit. The two holes are for the air tubes for our SleepNumber bed. The pump fits in the void between the headboard and the wall.
2 coats of ebony stain/poly and into the bedroom it went. Makes a comfortable place to sit and read, and the storage on the ends gives a place to keep some things off the top of the nightstands, but still handy.
-- Grace & peace, Chris+