|Project by MichaelT77||posted 08-23-2012 12:55 AM||1687 views||7 times favorited||9 comments|
I replaced the mantel and fireplace surround in our dining room. Non-working fireplace, used to have a gas-burner (95-yr-old house). The old mantel looked pretty bad, and the fireplace and surround were glazed subway tile with four or five hand-painted tiles thrown in (pictures of fish). So, I took it on as a project. The walls have since been repainted. The wood is all red oak. Urethane finish. Didn’t have room for extra pictures, but during the process, I ran a hand-held Makita saw (about a 4” blade) across three of my fingers. Really stupid move. I should find another place to post my safety photos. I used biscuits to join the pieces of wood for the mantel (it extends back a few inches on either side of the chimney). Turned out OK, and my fingers healed (but it was pretty scary for a couple seconds).
-- Michael T, Pittsburgh, PA