|Project by Trackman||posted 08-19-2012 09:55 PM||2429 views||24 times favorited||24 comments|
This project was 2 ½ years in the making. I started on Spring Break of 2010 and finished this weekend. It seemed as though something would come up that was more important than the nightstands and they would be put on the back burner.
A good deal of the wood for this project came from old oak pallets that I brought home from work and recycled. After milling them down to final size they were as beautiful as any oak that you could buy at the lumber yard.
I used a dark mission water-based dye to get the color I wanted, but I had a very difficult time keeping the grain from raising. I wet the whole thing down with water to let the grain raise then sanded, but the grain raised again when I put the dye on. I think next time I’ll mix the dye with denatured alcohol rather than distilled water.
Now that this project is done, I’m going to attempt to make an Arts & Crafts style head and footboard to match.
-- Trackman, Washington