|Project by rweitz||posted 08-19-2012 03:38 AM||2473 views||15 times favorited||14 comments|
A while back I made this bookshelf for my daughter’s first apartment.
She loved it but when we put it on the wall the wall seemed so empty and she has so many books that I went and made a set of four to fill the space.
Originally I was going to make three more to go with, but the first one was a bit “unique”. It had a definite slant to the right. Since I had made this up with just the adjustments on the Crapsman I was not surprised. I refined the cuts and dimensions from what I learned on the first build. Then I got the Wixley for this build and it made all the difference. Being able to check each and every glue up kept everything lined up for the finished wall. As you can see I could only glue up one level of shelf due to the number of clamps required so I built them each up at time to keep them building to align up. Even still, without the Wixley that alone would not have kept them aligned.
I used some furniture bolts from Woodcraft to keep the them bolted together for the install and some 1” “L” brackets to hold them against the wall. They don’t show since they are mounted on the very top shelf and being 7 feet in the air not many people will be able to see them. Other than that all dados and rabbets for the joinery.
She’s gotten a new kitty since the last build so we got them both in the pics.
-- You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do. - Henry Ford