|Project by KoryK||posted 08-14-2012 11:49 PM||2786 views||11 times favorited||32 comments|
This one was more of a bear than a frog. When I made the pattern I did not realize how hard it was going to be to glue and assemble all of the pieces. There were so many pieces that each time you tried to check for a good fit or try to glue you would move other pieces everywhere. It has 241 pieces and 42 pieces in the frame alone. I also had an issue finding a wood color for the leaves, I had settled on some green poplar because that was all I could find that I came close to liking. As it turns out when I was almost done I happened to be in wood store and they had a special buy on some cortez wood that I had never heard of. I bought some and really liked it, so I ended up remaking and replacing all the leaves with that wood. It is hard to tell in pictures but I put A LOT of spacers in this piece. It is about two inches thick in places (feet and hands) down to 3/8 of an inch (some leaves). Well, hopefully it turned out ok and someone will like it.
The leaves and twigs were made with cortez and butternut. The log and vines were hackaberry, wenge, and walnut. The frame is made of koa and curly maple. Finally the frog is made with purple heart, ebony, blood wood, yellow heart, cypress, mahogany, aspen, and cherry. There were no stains used to achieve colors and was finished in satin.
Thanks for Looking!
-- If you not making sawdust, your probably wasting your time. Kory