|Project by CueballRosendaul||posted 08-12-2012 11:59 PM||4128 views||52 times favorited||14 comments|
I had LJ Member Filinvested’s Scraps to Beads project in my favorites list for a while. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/38288 and have been milling it around in my head for a few weeks. I agree with another LJ who posted in the comments that it would be way better to use a variable speed fan motor, much quieter and no brushes to wear down. Unfortunately I don’t have an extra fan or motor laying around, but I did find this old drill that I never use. It is not a variable speed, pull the trigger and hang on because it spins about 2000 RPM. It does have a very tight chuck and a trigger lock though. Best of all if I roach it I’m only out the $2 I gave for it at a garage sale. It was pretty noisy, so if I was in the shop, I sat it outside. The brick kept it from walking away too far. If you use a motor like this, keep in mind that you may have to add a few drops of oil to keep it from screaming.
I used two different coffee cans and spray adhesive to hold the paper to the sides. I started with little cubes and rectangles of scrap oak, cherry, walnut, and maple with some 80 grit paper. It ran for hours and hours before I decided to step back to 40 grit. The 40 did in 30 minutes what took the 80 grit 6 hours to do. So I went 40, 80, 150, 220. When i started the batch, I could only run a handful of pieces at a time because they locked up and stayed flat in the bottom of the can instead of bouncing. I just kept checking it every 20 minutes, pulling out ones that were shaped or sanded fine or getting too small, and adding a few more. The last run with 220 was the full batch and I let it run for over an hour until most of the grit was gone and it was down to paper. Then I replaced the disc with a piece of cardboard, and lined the can with construction paper. I took a few of the warm beads and scooped some paste wax up and dropped them in. I also took a small shop rag and laid it on top of the batch. Within seconds, all were covered with wax and heated up. After about 30 minutes they were shiny and done.
This was a proof of concept project before I make a better machine for doing it. I’d like to make a drill press attachment that can handle this. I’d like to experiment with some segmented and exotic pieces.
-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.