|Project by jacob34||posted 495 days ago||791 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
So I was sitting yesterday talking to myself, self is said, that is what I call myself when I talk to myself, what should I do in my shop this weekend? Self I replied, a box. This of course proves what many have told me, making boxes is a very addictive thing. So as I dialoged with myself I decided I had some pine and “select pine” from homie depot that I had not ear marked for anything. Which by the way what exactly is select pine? Anyway the project began, I made the body of the box out of select pine 3/4, which I mitered. The pooo began at this point I did not glue up properly and ended up with less than tight joints (probably should have started over) then as I did the lid I put a strip of oak a 1/4 thick in between the pines I decided to stain the box walnut color which of course made that nice strip almost invisible. Problem was I had stain from a previous project that I did not use so of course used it just to use the stain.
All in all the miters kicked my butt again, I made a spline jig which was not as effective as I want (will be looking on here to see how everyone is building theirs soon). and stain, well is just was not in my opinion something that made the project better.
-- why get a plan when you can get even more experience