|Project by Tom Huntley||posted 08-12-2012 12:17 AM||2598 views||3 times favorited||3 comments|
This was a really fun project. I have not been a big fan of TVs over fireplaces, but this seems to work reasonably well. One challenge to overcome was to have a flow from the mantel to the shelves that tied all the pieces together. This was accomplished by using beadboard as a backdrop for all pieces. Originally, the top mantle was going to have a simple flat surface connecting the two columns. Then i decided to put in three “windows” and let the beadboard become exposed. It really worked well, and truly looks good in real life. Corbels were from Osborne Wood Products, and the architectual overlay was also bought online, but I forget from whom. I wish I could remember, because it’s absolutely beautiful, and only cost me $49 plus freight. This was about 1/3 the price I found elsewhere.
This is my first fireplace mantel, and I’m obviously excited. I plan on doing more. Like usual, I need to figure out where my pricing should be in order to make any money on this stuff. This project took about 120 hours to build/install/finish. Finished project came in at about $4000. (hope that helps other “starving artists”)
-- Tom Huntley - Rochester Hills, Michigan