|Project by woodworker59||posted 08-11-2012 12:44 AM||1393 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
this is the maple and black walnut mallet I made to replace my older one that is getting a little long in the teeth.
I used the lamination method and cut the space on the middle slice for the handle. You will note that the walnut projects farther out the end of the handle and can be seen on the top of the mallet. I thought this would add a bit of strength to the overall mallet. Its surprisingly light for the way it looks, and will be my primary mortise mallet.
I finished the entire mallet with the exception of the striking face with four coats of Watco Danish Oil.
has a real nice feel to it in your hand and packs quite a wallop.. Papa