|Project by robscastle||posted 08-10-2012 06:51 AM||1058 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
OK here is the story,
My friend arrived with a Aust red Cedar church pew.
He bought two of these from somewhere.
Both were originally wall mounted and so had no ends and and one had an intermediate leg missing.
He gave me some huge timber which looked like Jarrah and the size of a sleeper.
My first impression was it would look dreadful, and he should go get some Aust Red Cedar, oh yeah, still looking.
As I thought I may possibly need some credits in the after life I agreed to take it on.
Lazy Larry gave me some contacts to follow up on.
Anyway the timber was 180×70 mm, which was too big for my table saw so as the pew ends were 300mm I decided to dress them down and rip them.
OMG it was tough, I had what I thought was smoke coming from the saw blade at one stage.
Then onto my newly aquired 6” jointer, it handled it surprisingly well, biggest problem I had was lifting the timber and manouvering it about.
I then biscuit jointed them together and cut out the curves with a jig saw.
Ther was no way I could manage them with my band saw.
Now the Jig saw blade definately got hot as it had blueing marks on it when I finished.
I then ran around it with a 45 Deg profile cutter on the hand held router to produce the result you see here.
It took me about 2 days leaving everything to glue up overnight
Never again, the toll on the equipment was:-
1×10 ” saw blade
2 x Jig saw blades
2 x sets of jointer blades
and a router bit which is still in therapy.
In closing I must say the end result looked a lot better than I expected.
Its all just sitting there now awaiting either approval to continue or we go find some ARC somewhere
-- Regards Robert