|Project by KnickKnack||posted 08-10-2012 06:14 AM||2851 views||19 times favorited||34 comments|
...or “Finger Joints Reloaded”
I’ve had this idea for a while – basically to “work on” the joins of a basic finger joint box and see what happens.
To tell the truth it took a bit of nerve to start hacking away at what was a pretty well made, all be it simple, box, but I figured that that was the plan. In any event – what was I going to do? Wait until I’d built a “bad” box and hack at that? I’d also picked the woods (I’m very much enjoying the ash/jatoba combination) with the specific idea that the end-grain ash tends to “muddy up” and not contrast very much with the jatoba – as you move around the thing the stripes sort of fade into one another as the ash darkens and the jatoba lightens with the grain changing.
Aside from the circular ends, I didn’t have much idea what I was going to do with the sides, or the top, or the handle – I have this tendency to get focused on the one concept and not think things through – I think perhaps my vision isn’t what it might be. I even took the (for me) unprecedented step of putting oil on before it was finished in order to see how it was going to come out. All those complex ideas of horizontal contrasting stripes and rebates and contours went out the window in favour of the simplicity you see. The top was originally going to have a horizontal stripy handle, but I think that would have been a bit too much and I’m pretty happy with what I went with in the end – a handle that somewhat “mirrors” the box.
The sharp eyed amongst you might notice that the top doesn’t really match the ash sides as well as it might. I did have a top from the same plank, but I messed up the cutting on that one. I’d run out of ash from that original batch of 2 years ago, so I had to wait for the new delivery, hoping I’d get something similar. This top is probably not from the same tree, possibly not even the same forest, let alone from the same board. Still, I’d overcut the first top and I give myself (a little) credit for not “just pressing on” regardless.
I call it “Camelot” because it sort of reminded me of those tents you see in King Arthur films. A stretch, OK, but I find names tend to stick once I start using them.
It all looks a bit complicated and difficult, but in fact it isn’t – steps were as follows…
Start with finger-jointed box…
I didn’t need this step, but I was going to lose this wood anyway, and straight 10mm bits (of which I have several), are very cheap in comparison to the (unique) bit I used in the next step…
Now the ovolo bit to round the internal corners, sneaking up on the join…
I think a 45° might have worked, and I toyed with doing that and insetting a vertical strip, but in the end I stuck with rounded using a roundover bit…
I’m fairly pleased with how it came out. I tried oh so very hard to pay attention to the details, and to make everything smooth and just-so. I think the demons and I drew 2-2 on this one.
The wife’s comment: “It looks alright actually.”
Ash and Jatoba. 16cm x 23cm x 10cm. Linseed oil finish.
All criticisms welcome – that’s how I’m going to improve.
-- "Do not speak – unless it improves on silence." --- "Following the rules and protecting the regulations is binding oneself without rope."