|Project by clazman||posted 08-09-2012 09:45 PM||1495 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
This project was to improve on the “Earth Box” means of locomotion as it pertains to the roughness of our patio. The wheels that most products use are usually only good for “smooth” surfaces. In addition, I wanted to add a means of pulling since the “Earth Box is not equipped with any means of pulling it around. Why all the concern? I move this wagon twice a day to keep the plants (cukes) in the sun otherwise they would only get 4-5 hours.
I ended up with a wood (3/4” pine) wagon with 6 inch wheels. I used #10 FH screws so that I could replace any component as needed. Because this wagon was going to be outside I applied a liberal amount of Watco’s Teak Oil finish. I have had no experience with this product, but have had considerable experience with their Danish Oils which I “wet” sand with 220 and/or 400 grit.
As for the steering, I toyed with using a lazy-susan bearing, but ended up with a swivel caster which required a little metal work (drilling a 1/2 inch through hole for the axle).
One problem with the caster was that the yoke rides only an inch above the ground (I used the the casters axle hole to mount the yoke assembly. I may return to the lazy-susan.
The plans were created in TurboCAD in 3D including all of the screw pilots and clearance holes.