|Project by Jason™||posted 08-09-2012 08:57 PM||2946 views||7 times favorited||16 comments|
After weeks of planning and gathering all the material I needed for this project. I copied to the (T) Mr. Mortals cross cut sled design from WWMM. This is the first one I have ever made and am really happy with the way it works. I found a video called “5 cuts to a perfect crosscut sled” and used that method to get mine to within .002 – .003 off. Very happy with that I just hope it doesn’t move anytime soon. I believe I over did the whole purpose of this simple sled by staining and painting it. But on the other hand the more I use stains the better my finishes turn out compared to my first time.
I also made my first throat plate insert for my Dewalt Table saw (DW744). Never done anything like this before and am open to suggestions as to an easier way to make these. First of all I don’t own a router for the time being and no kind of stationary sander, also a scroll saw is the only means of cutting something round or ya know (my generic bandsaw) for the time being. Besides a miter saw, but anyway the way I did this is pretty straight forward to the ways I seen them done. Trace, cut, sand to fit, done. My way of sanding this was a little different than most would probably do and I should really not tell this. I glued 2 circles of cardboard together just a bit smaller than my table saw blade and then glued a piece of sandpaper to that and let it dry overnight with weight over it to be sure it was pressed together very well. Then I put it on my TS with a extra piece of wood clamped to my fence very close behind the disk. I also clamped a board down to be used as the table for it so I wouldn’t be scratching or marking up the TS top. That is how I got this to fit, I know its not the proper or SAFE way to do it but it worked great!!! A stationary disk sander is on the list by far.
Hope you all enjoy my amateur work and don’t bother telling me im crazy for using cardboard. I know this but it worked in a pinch.