|Project by SM||posted 04-17-2008 05:00 AM||2510 views||3 times favorited||17 comments|
This wood was in a throw-out bin at a co-op shop making musical instruments. My sister worked there for a time and sent me a pile. It was a couple feet long and 3/8” to 1/4” stock, so there was not much room in which to plane or sand and it was warped, cupped, and very rough. Still, it took me a long time of making prototypes in pine before I would cut into it. (Pine protos shone in other project bin).
The wenge was very brittle with deep heavy grain. The padouk was lovely to work though also out of shape. I used a French polish on the body but then a varnish on the lid because I wanted to fill up the grain (and FP would have taken three times the coats to do so.) It took about 8 coats of the varnish and the grain still could have taken another three to really even out the surface. The stone is from a local beech.
Working with the wood makes me think often of my sister. She has always encouraged and supported my efforts.
I started doing finger join boxes at Christmas and this is the most recent (as of two weeks ago.)