|Project by stanleyfatmax||posted 08-05-2012 12:49 AM||1730 views||5 times favorited||7 comments|
I started this in February and finished by putting on the knobs today. All solid walnut except for two pieces of plywood on the back of parts with doors—the interior structure is secured to the front rails and floats in a groove in the back. Finish is boiled linseed oil, a couple coats of shellac and wax. Panels are re-sawed and book matched.
It’s a much larger cut list than anything I’ve done before, so I was pretty happy when it all came together. It was a number of firsts for me—making frame and floating panel doors and sides, breadboard ends on the tabletop, re-sawing and book matching—so it was a fun project.
You can probably tell from the pictures that there is some color difference around the edges of the panels on the doors and sides. I glued those up first and put oil around the outside of the panel because I wouldn’t be able to get oil in there once glued up. Then there was a gap of a couple weeks before I had the whole thing assembled and put oil on the rest of the panels. It looks like the un-oiled portion of the panels darkened during that period, hence the unfortunate two-tone look. I’m not sure if that will even out over time now that the finish is on it. I hope so, because I don’t want to scrape the surface and try to re-do it.
The other major issue was that I took the pieces out of the shop to glue-up at home and had the shelf pieces sitting in a pile for a couple weeks. Some of the pieces cupped from the atmosphere change. I tried to straighten them out with a wet towel on one side and clamps, but they were still a bit off when I assembled. The dry fit went OK, but once the gluing started I had trouble getting the shelves to fit in the grooves. There were a couple minutes when I thought it wasn’t going to go, but eventually it came together after I spent some panicked minutes going at it with a rubber mallet at about full strength.